Yasin Malik, 9 others to be charged in Rubaiya Sayeed kidnapping case
- Rubaiya Sayeed who is the younger sister of former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Mehbooba Mufti, was kidnapped by the Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front on December 8, 1989.
A TADA court on Monday ordered that charges be framed against terrorist-turned-separatist leader Yasin Malik and nine others for their alleged roles in the abduction of Rubaiya Sayeed, daughter of the then Union home minister Mufti Mohammed Sayeed in December 1989.
Special Judge TADA Court Sunit Gupta ordered that charges be framed against Yasin Malik, Ali Mohamad Mir, Mohammad Zaman Mir, Iqbal Ahmad Gandroo , Javed Ahmad Mir , Mohammad Rafiq Pahloo alias Nana Ji alias Saleem , Manzoor Ahmed Sofi, Wajahat Bashir , Mehraj-ud-Din Sheikh and Showkat Ahmad Bakshi.
Rubaiya Sayeed who is the younger sister of former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Mehbooba Mufti, was kidnapped by the Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front from Nowgam in Kashmir on December 8, 1989.
According to the CBI, the accused had kidnapped Rubaiya Sayeed to force the government to release five militants.
Yasin Malik has been accused of playing a key role in the kidnapping that he and his associates executed.
Rubaiya Sayeed was eventually released December 13 that year.
The court after hearing public prosecutor of the CBI Vijay Kumar Dogra and advocate MA Goni besides going into confessional statements of other accused observed that sufficient grounds existed to presume that all the accused had committed offences.
“Hence, charges are required to be framed against each of the accused persons, separately,” the court stated.
In March last year, a TADA court had also framed charges against Yasin Malik and six others allegedly involved in the killing of four unarmed Indian Air Force (IAF) officials in 1990 in Kashmir. Malik is currently in Delhi's Tihar jail.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- ‘Maitri Setu’ bridge which spans 1.9 kilometres joining Sabroom in India with Ramgarh in Bangladesh, has been built over Feni river which flows between Indian boundary in Tripura and Bangladesh.
- A boost for Atma Nirbhar Bharat campaign, AIP-fitted submarines remain sub-surface for a longer period and are quieter than nuclear-powered submarines.
- Among the key highlights, the budget is expected to have a special allocation for free Covid-19 vaccination at Delhi government hospitals.
- The Gender Budget Statement is proposed to be prepared in two parts. Part A- reflecting schemes that are 100% targeted towards women and girl beneficiaries; and Part B- reflecting Pro-women and girl schemes in which 30 to 99% allocations are towards women and girls.
- If the Supreme Court's five-judge bench accepts that the judgment in Indra Sawhney case should be modified, the case will have to be referred to an 11-judge bench.