Abu Salem seeks joint trial in blast case
This happened as CBI took an opposite stand saying his trial should be separated.india Updated: Apr 14, 2006 08:48 IST
Extradited gangster Abu Salem on Thursday urged a TADA court in Mumbai to conduct his trial jointly with other 123 co-accused, including film actor Sanjay Dutt, in the 1993 bomb blast case.
This happened as CBI took an opposite stand saying his trial should be separated.
Opposing the CBI plea to separate his trial from the main case of 123 co-accused in the 1993 bomb blast case, Salem said if he was not tried jointly with others then prejudice may be caused to him and co-accused.
Salem's lawyer Niteen Pradhan concluded his arguments while CBI is expected to file a rejoinder next week.
Seeking an early verdict on the bomb blast case, CBI prosecutors Ujjwal Nikam and N Natrajan urged the court to separate Salem's case from the main trial.
They said Salem was trying to delay the verdict by seeking a joint trial.
Salem's lawyer had alleged on Wednesday that extradition conditions had been violated by the authorities in India and sought documents on the basis of which Salem's extradition was sought from Portugal.
Pradhan sought documents while pleading joint trial of Salem with 123 co-accused in the 1993 bomb blast case.
The documents sought by Salem include a letter written by the then Deputy Prime Minister LK Advani to Portugal court, letter written by the then Indian Ambassador to Portugal, submissions of CBI before Portugal court and an affidavit filed by CBI Superintendent OP Chatwal in Portugal.
Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam opposed Salem's plea for documents saying he was a party to extradition procedings in Portugal and had them in his possession.
Nikam contended that Salem is not legally entitled to have copies of these documents.
First Published: Apr 14, 2006 08:48 IST