Anju to lead in Asian Indoor Athletics
Long jumper Anju Bobby George will lead a strong challenge for India in the third Asian Indoor Athletics Championships starting in Doha on Wednesday.
India is fielding a large contingent of 32 athletes, including 15 women, in the three-day championships which will also serve as the qualifying meet for the World Indoor Athletics Championships in Spain next month and the Beijing Olympics.
For Anju, who won the silver medal in the previous edition of the championships in Pattaya in 2006, it will be a good build-up for Beijing and she would want to return with a gold this time.
India will also have triple jumper Renjith Maheswari, who has already booked a ticket to Beijing, besides a host of others who would be looking to make it to the Olympics.
Among top contenders in the championship are Sajeesh Kumar Joseph and Rajeev Ramesan in 800m, Chatholi Hamza and Sajeesh Kumar Joseph in 1500m, Surendra Kumar in 3000m, Hari Shankar Roy in high jump, Shiv Shankar Yadav in long jump, while decathlete P J Vinod will compete in heptathlon.
All of them were the best performers in their respective events last year.
The women's contingent will also have top athletes. Besides Anju, others in the fray are last edition gold winner (in 1500m) Sinimol Paulose and Sushma Devi (in 800m and 1500m), Preeja Sreedharan in 3000m and J J Sobha in pentathlon.
India are fielding athletes in 18 events (nine out of 13 for men and 11 out of 13 for women).
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Earlier this month, CBI in the first charge-sheet in the case had named BSF Commandant Satish Kumar and Murshidabad-based businessman Enamul Haque along with five others for their alleged involvement in cattle smuggling across the India-Bangladesh border.
- The bench, also comprising Justices L Nageswara Rao and S Ravindra Bhat apart from Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde were of the view that magistrates should play a more “intrusive” role in investigation.
- Police said the accused and the victim were in a relationship for a year, but of late she had been avoiding him.
- The national carrier at present is operating only special passenger trains since the curbs on lockdown were eased. Regular passenger trains have been suspended since March 25, 2020.
- Both the casualties took place due to IED blasts.
- The BJP unit has also been at loggerheads with the ruling Meghalaya Democratic Alliance (MDA) dispensation with its chief Earnest Mawrie accusing it of anomalies in governance.
- Shahjahanpur’s superintendent of police S Anand, SP, denied reports that the girl was burnt after a failed rape attempt
- An expert team is trying to drain out the lake to prevent another tragedy like the Chamoli flash flood.
- The tribal fair draws devotees not only from Telangana, but also from other states like Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
- The notice released by the state government stated “All passengers coming to West Bengal from the aforementioned 4 states shall mandatorily carry a covid negative RT-PCR report for such test conducted within 72 hours of flight departure.”
- The police said they were ascertaining the identities and affiliation of the two terrorists.