Ayodhya accused to be tried for inciting hatred
A local court was on Saturday informed that the Uttar Pradesh government has granted permission to prosecute the five accused in the Ayodhya attack case.
They have been charged for inciting communal hatred and for habouring prejudice against national integration.
The District and Sessions Court hearing the case relating to the attack on the acquired land complex at Ayodhya on July 5, 2005 was told by government counsel OP Sinha the state government granted permission to the district administration to prosecute the five accused under provisions of the Indian Penal Code and the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
The sections of IPC are 153 A (promoting communal enmity) and 153 B (causing prejudice against national integration) and sections 16, 18, 19 and 20 of UAPA pertaining to notification and denotification of terrorist organisations and activities.
He said the court had already appointed NK Singh as amicus curie to plead the cases of the five accused -- Irfan Khan, Mohammed Aziz, Mohammed Shamim, Asif Iqbal and Mohammed Naseem -- who were brought to the court from Naini Central Jail in Allahabad amid tight security.
Singh submitted that he had asked the Faizabad Bar Association for permission to plead cases of the five accused, which was still awaited.
He sought adjournment due to a strike by lawyers here today following which the court fixed the hearing for April 3.