'Bad roads compel us to stay indoors'
Residents of Ward 29 had high hopes from their councillor as Saroj Yadav had earlier served as the Sarpanch of Kanhai village, though it was her first time as a councillor.
But, a year on, residents alleged that their expectations have been shattered as she is hardly seen in her ward. Even her phone number, which is listed on the official website of the MCG, is attended by her husband.
Residents complained of potholed roads, stray animals, commercial encroachments and poor sanitation conditions. They lamented that in the last one year, nothing has been changed despite regular complaints.
Also, most residents alleged that Yadav was last seen by them during the elections and after that she has never bothered to visit the ward. But, the councillor is happy with her performance and feels that she has done a lot for the ward.
Maya Devi, a senior citizen of Sec 41, said, "We are compelled to stay indoors as the road exists in name only. It is merely made of stones and walking on it could lead to accidents. Again there is no park where we can relax in the evenings."
A resident of Jalvayu Vihar said, "These leaders are seen only during elections. The rest of the time, they relax with friends, relatives and supporters and ignore those voters who brought them to power."
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Even though the case was posted for February 4, the court heard the case on Wednesday based on the request of the former Tamil Nadu CM's family.
- An apex court bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde said that all endeavours should be made to ensure appointments come through in a time-bound manner.
- The TMC, however, has hit back calling it the height of hypocrisy and refuting the charges as baseless allegations.
- Leaders of the Samyukt Kisan Morcha, the platform of farm unions leading the protests, on Wednesday apologised for the violent events in Delhi that have dented the credibility of the movement.
- Singh and Pompili will preside over the signing of a letter of intent between the Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) and the French Development Agency (AFD) for developing a floating solar plant of up to 150 MW.
- Mamata Banerjee has recently appointed coordinators for the five assembly constituencies in East Midnapore district, the home turf of former TMC stalwart Suvendu Adhikari who joined the BJP on December 19.
- As part of the strategy, the Andhra Pradesh government on Tuesday issued an order announcing hefty cash incentives to be given to gram panchayats where sarpanches and ward members are elected unanimously without any contest.
- The defence ministry said Rajnath Singh received an "introductory telephone call" from the newly-appointed US Secretary of Defence Austin and that the two leaders reaffirmed their commitment to work together to strengthen defence cooperation and the strategic partnership between the two countries.