Balli incident: Goa govt irked over DGP's demand for CBI probe
Goa Director general of police (DGP) Aditya Arya's move of seeking a CBI inquiry into the Balli incident, even as the chief minister assured a judicial probe into the happenings at the tribal agitation, has irked the state government.india Updated: Jun 22, 2011 11:27 IST
Goa Director general of police (DGP) Aditya Arya's move of seeking a CBI inquiry into the Balli incident, even as the chief minister assured a judicial probe into the happenings at the tribal agitation, has irked the state government.
State Law secretary Pramod Kamat told reporters here on on Tuesday that the DGP's act was "confusing".
He claimed that on one hand, the state is in the process of appointing a High Court judge for the inquiry, the police chief, on the other hand has written for a CBI inquiry.
Arya, in a letter to the state government, had said that CBI should investigate Balli incident as "it had law and order implications."
The DGP had circulated the letter to the media along with the press note, this week.
The Crime Branch was investigating the violence during tribal protests at Balli here on May 25, which saw two tribal leaders being burnt to death by a local mob.
United Tribal Alliance Association (UTAA) had demanded a judicial probe into the incident while state police had failed to make a breakthrough in the case.
DGP's letter has come even before chief minister Digambar Kamat met chief justice of Bombay High Court Mohit Shah demanding to assign a sitting judge for the judicial probe.
Sources said that Shah has showed his inability to appoint a sitting judge and has instead recommended that services of retired judge can be considered to head the probe.
The state government has already completed a magisterial inquiry into the Balli carnage. Magistrate Mihir Vardhan in his report had pointed out that the policemen remained silent spectators as the mob burnt alive two tribal leaders.
The Crime branch, which is investigating the case, had also come under fire for being lax in arresting the accused involved in the carnage.
While one accused – Dipak Phaldesai, has been arrested, two are absconding. Of the total 15 people in the mob, the crime branch had zeroed in on only three accused.
This is for the second time that DGP has come under scanner for Balli investigation.
Earlier, the DGP, participating in a seminar on Human Rights last week, had said that he would have ordered fire had he been present at Balli on May 25.
UTAA had condemned his statement and is preparing to appeal to the National Human Rights commission over the comments.
First Published: Jun 22, 2011 11:25 IST