Chris Brown withdraws from Kids' Choice Awards
R&B star Chris Brown has withdrawn from the popular Kids' Choice Awards scheduled for March 28, after his double nomination sparked controversy.india Updated: Mar 12, 2009 11:25 IST
R&B star Chris Brown has withdrawn from the popular Kids' Choice Awards scheduled for March 28, after his double nomination sparked controversy.
Thousands of parents signed a petition calling on the Nickelodeon children's channel to toss him out after his alleged attack last month on pop star Rihanna for which he now faces assault charges.
"Chris very much appreciates the support of his fans and the honour they have paid him in the way of nominations for favourite male singer and favourite song," said a statement from Brown Wednesday, confirming his withdrawal.
The withdrawal came just a day after Nickelodeon issued a statement saying Brown would remain on the ballot in his categories. But the cable channel said it respected his decision.
"We are confirming that Chris Brown has decided to withdraw his nominations from the Kids' Choice Awards," said Nickelodeon. "We agree with and respect his decision, and are looking forward to presenting a great event for our audience."