Crime and punishment: a new law at last
IPC was amended after Justice Verma panel's recommendation that acid attack be treated as a standalone offence with minimum imprisonment of 10 years extendable up to life term and fine for the guilty.india Updated: Jul 21, 2013 03:38 IST
A long time in coming: crime and punishment for acid attacks.
* Acid attack not a separate offence under the Indian Penal Code (IPC)
* Cases registered under the category of attempt to murder or grievous injury
* No fine
* IPC amended after Justice Verma Commission's recommendation that acid attack be treated as a standalone offence
* Section 326A introduced. A person found guilty of causing acid burns can get minimum imprisonment of ten years extendable up to imprisonment for life and fine. The fine is to be used to pay the victim's medical expenses.
* Section 326B makes even an attempt to throw acid a crime punishable with a jail term of five to seven years if found guilty and fine
* Section 100 amended to provide right of private defense to victim to the extent of causing death to the assailant
* Section 357A introduced in Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) to clarify that compensation by state government is in addition to fine payable under 326A* Section 357C introduced in CrPC makes it mandatory for hospitals, including private ones, to provide first-aid or medical treatment free of cost to victims of acid attack.
First Published: Jul 20, 2013 21:22 IST