CRPF jawan killed in militant firing in Srinagar
A CRPF jawan was on Wednesday killed when suspected militants opened fire on a camp in Bemina locality of central Srinagar.
Constable Praveen Singh Rajput was hit by a bullet in the chest after unidentified gunmen opened fire on being challenged by the jawan near the 73rd battalion camp here.
Rajput, a resident of Madhya Pradesh, was on sentry duty when he observed suspicious movement outside the camp at around 2:30am, a CRPF spokesman said, adding the jawan challenged the persons who fired 5-6 rounds towards the camp prompting retaliation.
Rajput was hit in the chest and he succumbed to injuries on way to hospital, he said.
The suspected militants fled the spot taking advantage of darkness, he said, adding a manhunt has been launched to nab them.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The bench of Justices Ashok Bhushan and R Subhash Reddy issued notice to Sivasankar on ED’s plea but refused to stay the HC order. The bench enquired from the counsel for Sivasankar if he was already out of jail.
- The Indian and Pakistani armies have said they began strictly adhering to a ceasefire on the LoC in J-K from the midnight of February 24.
- Here are today’s top news, analysis, and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
- Irani was speaking about ‘Women Power in Democracy', at the Indian Institute of Mass Communication in New Delhi.
- Following an agreement last month on pulling back frontline troops along with armoured vehicles and artillery from strategic heights around Pangong Lake, the two sides have been unable to make progress on disengagement at other friction points such as Depsang, Hot Springs and Gogra.