Dadri lynching: UP Police for FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som
Union minister Mahesh Sharma and controversial BJP lawmaker Sangeet Som could land in a spot of bother with UP police seeking action against them for alleged violation of prohibitory orders in Bisada village.
Police have filed a report with the district magistrate of Gautam Budh Nagar district recommending filing of FIRs against the two leaders and also against BSP leader and former Minister Naseemuddin Siddiqui.
Superintendent of police (Rural) Sanjay Kumar Yadav said the report has been filed against the three leaders who addressed the villagers in defiance of prohibitory orders in force in the area.
Mohammad Ikhlaq, 55, was killed by a mob a week ago over rumour that the family had slaughtered a calf and eaten its meat.
The leaders were given permission only to meet the family of the victim and not for addressing public meetings in view of the sensitive situation prevailing in the area.
Som, MLA from Muzaffar Nagar, is already in the news as he had on Sunday said they were capable of giving a “befitting reply” if “innocents were framed” in the lynching case. He had also attacked MIM MP Asaduddin Owaisi for visiting Bisada and accused non-BJP parties of indulging in polarisation of politics.
Sharma, union culture minister, who represents Gautam Budh Nagar in Lok Sabha, has made a few visits to the victim’s house and has been attacking political rivals over the incident.
District magistrate NP Singh had said on Monday that he was taking legal opinion on what action could be taken on the statements made by Som.
However, no action has been recommended against Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, Owaisi and Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal who visited the family of the victim last week but did not address any public meeting.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The list of Padma awards also comprised 10 Padma Bhushan and 102 Padma Shri recipients.
- On January 8, state election commissioner N Ramesh Kumar released the schedule for elections to be held in four phases
- The police say about 30,000 tractors are likely to participate in the rally, but farm leaders said the number of vehicles will be closer to 200,000.
- The break-up of 946 police personnel who have been awarded medals on the occasion of the Republic Day, 2021.
- "We have promised ourselves that we will not just meet our Paris Agreement targets but exceed them...” PM Modi said.
- The Nagaland government had come to the Supreme Court in exceptional circumstances for orders to restrain the sitting Lokayukta from hearing any case or exercising his powers or functions under the Nagaland Lokayukta Act, 2017.
- His mother said she was not at all happy to receive the news that her son was conferred Maha Vir Chakra. “I expected the top medal, not this,” she said.
- In a letter sent to all government ministries and departments Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba warned "that serious view would be taken" against those who fail to attend the ceremony despite invitations
- Of the 1.92 lakh beneficiaries that were to be vaccinated till January 25, the state has covered 1.77 lakh.