DD Lapang: Former CM and three-time Deputy CM
Meghalaya's Deputy Chief Minister and Congress leader DD Lapang is one of the seniormost politician's in the state. He holds the distinction of being Deputy Chief Minister with at least three governments besides being the Chief Minister from Feb 5, 1992 to Feb 19, 1993.
He was the leader of Congress Legislature Party When FA Khonglam took over as CM on December 8, 2001 and joined the NCP-led government as a Deputy CM. Lapang held the same portfolio in the UDP-Cong coalition led by BB Lyngdoh till March 2000.
The MLA from Shillong, DD Lapang was the Deputy Chief Minister in the 12-day SC Marak ministry also in 1998. He had earlier been the leader of the Opposition in the same year.
An active supporter of trade and bus routes with Bangladesh, the Dy CM Lapang holds Planning, Revenue, Administrative Reforms portfolio in the present government.
He has been demanding trade and bus routes with Bangladesh. He wants Bangladesh's Sylhet International Airport to be its gateway to outer world as part of joint business plans to give two way trade a thrust.
Championing the cause of the development of the tiny tribal state, Lapang has been demanding a direct Shillong-Sylhet bus service for package tourism.
He is one of the key leaders in the race of Chief Ministership if Congress emerges a major power in the state after polls.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- "Inspired by the honest governance of chief minister Arvind Kejriwal and hard work of MLA Raghav Chadha, I chose to join the Aam Aadmi Party..." said Mansi Sehgal
- Uttar Pradesh opened schools in a phased manner with physical classes for Classes 1 to 5 from Monday and for those in Classes 6 to 8, schools restarted from February 10.
- The states of Goa, Chhattisgarh, Bihar, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh have not imposed any travel restrictions so far.
- Nadda claimed that since the BJP was working to carry the country forward, therefore, those with the opportunity to work in the BJP were lucky
- Co-Win's citizen self-registration module will ensure fool-proof identification of deserving candidates for receiving the vaccines, the government has said.
- The prices of petrol and diesel in New Delhi on Monday stood at ₹91.17 per litre and ₹81.47 per litre respectively.
- The decision to bring in a slew of new rules to help the state curb the rising number of cases was taken by Punjab chief minister Amarinder Singh after a meeting with health experts and senior officers on February 23.