New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Dec 11, 2019-Wednesday



Select city

Metro cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata

Other cities - Noida, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhopal , Chandigarh , Dehradun, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi

Wednesday, Dec 11, 2019

Dentist Talwar's family united in grief

Out of Dasna jail after 50 days, Aarushi's father Dr Rajesh Talwar betrays no rancour against the police, thanks the CBI. A report by HT Correspondent.Their roles in the murdersComplicated case

india Updated: Jul 13, 2008 02:17 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent

Dr Rajesh Talwar finally went home on Saturday to be with his wife, friends and relatives and grieve his daughter’s death. All this away from the prying eyes of the media, his prison mates and guards.

<b1>The dentist showed no rancour at being imprisoned, wrongly accused of killing his only daughter, Aarushi and the family’s domestic help, Hemraj. He was in Dasna jail for 50 days.

“What our family has been saying all along has finally been vindicated. I thank God and the CBI,” he told reporters outside the residence of his father-in-law in Noida’s Sector 25.

The CBI cleared Talwar in court on Friday, saying they found nothing against him. UP police had arrested him shortly after the double-murder.

Talwar walked out of jail to be received by wife Nupur, brother Dinesh and friends Praful and Anita Durrani. They drove straight to a nearby Sai Baba temple before heading home.

The media was there, of course. But the family asked to be excused. “Please leave us alone, and allow me to share my grief with my family,” he said.

Are the Talwars planning to sue the UP Police? “Nothing of this sort is on my mind. This entire episode is the biggest grief of my life. Allow me to share it with my family because for the last 50 days, we have not been together.”

His counsel, Satish Tamta, said, “The family can certainly file a case of wrongful confinement; being framed in case, loss of reputation and business and damages for the pain and agony that they went through. However, proceedings for defamation cases take a long time to settle.”

Wife Nupur, who was standing by his side, said: “This is a time of pain and suffering for us. We request all of you to leave us alone.” While Talwar was in jail, Nupur had worked tirelessly to build up support for his release.

It could not have been easy for a mother who was grieving her only child to be also giving interviews and issuing statements in support of her husband. In between she also had to show up for questioning at the CBI headquarters whenever required. All that is finally over.

Talwar had been waiting long for this day. A jail official said, “He got up early, got dressed, and waited anxiously for his family.”