Depression led Mumbai girl to commit suicide

A senior officer says Charisma had unsuccessfully attempted to commit suicide by cutting her wrist veins, reports Debasish Panigrahi.
HT Image
HT Image
Published on Oct 29, 2006 10:29 PM IST
Copy Link
None | By, Mumbai

Charisma Anil Kadakia, the 24-year-old girl who committed suicide in full public-police view on Saturday by jumping from the fifth floor parapet of Navyug Sagar building at Malbar Hill, had twice in the past made suicide attempts, her parents told the police.

A senior officer from the Malabar Hill police station told HT on Sunday that Charisma had unsuccessfully attempted to commit suicide by cutting her wrist veins.

But she was saved at the nick of time. Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Operations, RN Tadvi, confirmed this and said, "The girl had a history of getting depression bouts and had tried to take extreme steps by inflicting injuries to herself. In fact, her parents were constantly worried about her."
The senior officer, who requested anonymity, said that the girl was undergoing depression for the past six years and was being treated for the same.

Even Additional commissioner of police, South Region, Dr K Kanakratnam confirmed that the girl had a problematic psychological history. "We have sought the relevant medical papers from the girl's parents," Kanakratnam stated.

Giving details of the events preceding Charisma's fatal jump, the officer said that the girl had left her house at Grand Paradi building at around 12 noon, telling her parents that she was going to meet a friend.

The parents had little objection to that since she was going through depressions and they thought a meeting with a friend might get her some relief.

She left home and drove down to Navyug Sagar building to meet her supposed fiancée Nipun Doshi, an interior designer, who stayed in a fifth floor flat of the building.

Nipun was at home at that time and he ushered her in. The officer said that Nipun called up Charisma's father to inform him about her visit.

This was on account of the fact that only on October 23 (New Year), Charisma's parents (mainly her mother) had expressed their reservations about an alliance between the two when they called on Nipun's parents.

This was on account of the fact that the Doshis were from a middle class background (Nipun's father runs a whole sale perfume business at Princess Street) while Charisma's father, Anil Kadakia is the honorary consul general of Brazil.

Moreover, while Charisma had returned India in May-June this year after completing her MBA courses in London, Nipun is a small-time interior designer.

However, ever since the alliance failed to materialise, Charisma had slipped into a state of depression and had stopped meeting Nipun.

"On Saturday when Nipun called up Anil to inform about his daughter's visit, the later told him not to worry.

Anil also told Nipun to give her a cup of tea and try to pacify her," said the officer who is among the team of three officers of Malbar Hill police station who questioned Nipun and his family members till late on Saturday night to know the reason behind the tragic suicide.

Nipun did accordingly. Meanwhile, Charisma got up and huffed out of the house. Nipun, who was familiar with her behaviour, was not surprised at it.

After some time, when he heard noise coming from below the building, he enquired and came to know about the suicide.

DCP Tadvi said that it was in fact Nipun who called up Anil to inform about Charisma's death.

The Malbar Hill police has also recorded the statement of Charisma's parents, who DCP Tadvi said, had absolved Nipun of any role in the suicide.

That is the reason, ADCP Dr Kanakratnam said, why the police had yet to initiate action against anyone in the case.


    Debasish has been an investigative reporter for nearly two decades, covering crime, legal and social issues. He is also interested in wildlife, travel and environmental issues.

Close Story
Story Saved
Saved Articles
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Wednesday, June 29, 2022