Development to OROP: 10 quotes of PM Modi's I-Day speech
Prime Minister Narendra Modi pledged to tackle corruption, work for the development of the poor and end communalism during his Independence Day speech from the ramparts of the 17th century Red Fort on Saturday. Here are the top 10 quotes from his speech.india Updated: Aug 15, 2015 20:44 IST
Prime Minister Narendra Modi pledged to tackle corruption, work for the development of the poor and end communalism during his Independence Day speech from the ramparts of the 17th century Red Fort on Saturday.
Modi also said electricity will be provided to more than 18,000 villages without power and a positive outcome was expected on the implementation of the One Rank One Pension (OROP) scheme for which ex-armymen have been protesting since the last two months.
Here are the top 10 quotes from the 85-minute long address:
1. This is Team India, a team of 125 crore Indians. This is the Team that makes the nation and takes our nation to new heights.
2. Be it casteism or communalism there is no place for them. In no way can they be tolerated. If the unity of India is destroyed then the dreams of the people are also destroyed.
3. Corruption is like a termite, it spreads slowly, reaches everywhere but it can be beaten with timely injections. I want to reaffirm that this nation will get rid of corruption. We can rid the country of corruption, we have to start from the top
4. I am assuring again, it is not a person speaking, I am speaking on the behalf of 125 crore people, under the tricolour, from the ramparts of Red Fort... In principle we have accepted One Rank One Pension (OROP). The phase of discussions is on.
5. The poor are at bottom of the pyramid of development and we have to strengthen the base of the pyramid. If they are empowered, no one can stop us.
6. All our schemes must serve the poor. The doors of the banks were not open for the poor. We decided this must end. We wanted to strengthen financial inclusion.
7. Dignity of labour has to be our national duty, it has to be a part of our nature. We introduced Shrameva Jayate Yojana. It is an effort to change the way we look at the workers of India.
8. Farmers need protection. For 60 years very little attention was paid to their welfare. We want to change this approach
9. In the coming days, start-ups will be promoted in every corner of the country. "Start-up India - Stand up India."
10. For India to progress, West Bengal, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and other eastern states have to do well.