Dutt judgment: Congress in a fix, Sena mum
As news of Sanjay Dutt, brother of Congress MP Priya Dutt’s sentence spread, top Congress leaders — Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, State Congress chief Prabha Rau and Mumbai Congress president Gurudas Kamat — were either reluctant to speak or remained incommunicado.
“We cannot justify what Dutt did nor can we welcome the judgment since he is the brother of our MP,” said a key Congress leader on anonymity.
Terming the verdict as unfortunate, Congress MLA Kripashankar Singh said, "Sanjay is a fine actor and we will miss him."
Even the Shiv Sena was hesitant in its reaction. Denying allegations of having a soft corner towards Dutt whom the party mouthpiece Saamna had once termed innocent, Sena Executive President Uddhav Thackeray pointed out that party Chief Bal Thackeray had always maintained that Dutt should be punished if found guilty or else should be acquitted.
"For now, I would not like to say anything. I will speak at an appropriate time," said Uddhav adding that family relationship and punishment are separate issues.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Addressing the concluding session of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) state president K Surendran’s “Vijay Yatra” in the state capital, Shah posed five questions to the CM.
- Addressing a state conference for its cadres on the outskirts of Trichy, Stalin said a DMK government will give ₹1,000 every month to housewives and create a million jobs every month.
- The meeting came a week after Tewari and other letter writers, the group has been tagged the G23, addressed a meeting in Jammu in honour of retired MP Ghulam Nabi Azad.
- In Tamil Nadu, the Congress is in alliance with the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagham (DMK).
- The observations from the Union health ministry come a day after the country reported the largest single-day increase in new Covid-19 infections in two months.
- Smriti Irani says, "I’m the only female politician who’s also recognised by her former vocation. I recognise the bias in that."
- An official said that both Houses could meet at 11 am from the second week following the vaccination of eligible MPs.
- A suicide note found at the spot said they took the decision because of acute financial distress, an official said.
- The changes have been opposed by some states who see it as another attempt by the Centre to take over mining auctions and impose central rules on a state domain.
- A re-invigorated biodiversity management policy is India’s survival strategy. At this point in our development trajectory, we don’t pay any heed to either biodiversity or landscape conservation.
- According to Forest Survey of India’s forest fire alert system, there were 2,317 fire points last year between February 26 and March 7, but the figure rose to 53,211 this time after data from the Suomi National Polar-orbiting Partnership (SNPP) was taken into account.