For Umesh, the time to shine for India was now
The credit for KKR's journey to the final goes to Gautam Gambhir. He may not have scored many runs but his presence has made the difference.
Gauti is the only captain who goes for wickets and that is the best way of stop runs in this format. He can do so because he has the bowlers in Morne Morkel, Umesh Yadav, Sunil Narine, Piyush Chawla and Shakib al Hasan. The key is the 14th or 15th over, when he brings on the main bowlers unlike other captains.
Recalled to squad
On the back of this, I am not surprised that Gauti has been recalled to the Test squad. In England, the ball moves around and his expertise will be handy.
If I am disappointed it is on Umesh (Yadav) not making the squad. Here’s a guy who bowls consistently above 145 kmph, swings the ball at pace and bowls a good yorker.
Umesh is in the form of his life and no wonder he was disheartened after the match. He started off slowly in this IPL, but with time has done well.
My job over the next few days is to sit with Umesh and make him look at the positives and not get bogged down.
India are lucky that they are developing a good crop of fast bowlers where Varun (Aaron) and Umesh bowl with speed, (Mohd) Shami is picking wickets, then there is Bhuvi.
But the selectors need to know when to pick these guys. This was the time for Umesh, since he has been doing well.
Full of potential
Leaving that aside, we have a squad full of potential with someone like Jacques Kallis sitting out and still being supportive. The support staff has kept things simple. Short, crisp meetings and cricketing talk has been the focus.
Look at the way Robin Uthappa has come of age. He hits the ball out of the park at will and they are cricketing shots. We all knew he was talented. Now he is delivering on the potential and that’s the reason he is back in the India ODI squad.
Come Sunday, all will be focused on regaining the title, but in T20 cricket it is difficult to predict anything.
The writer is KKR mentor
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Earlier this month, CBI in the first charge-sheet in the case had named BSF Commandant Satish Kumar and Murshidabad-based businessman Enamul Haque along with five others for their alleged involvement in cattle smuggling across the India-Bangladesh border.
- The bench, also comprising Justices L Nageswara Rao and S Ravindra Bhat apart from Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde were of the view that magistrates should play a more “intrusive” role in investigation.
- Police said the accused and the victim were in a relationship for a year, but of late she had been avoiding him.
- The national carrier at present is operating only special passenger trains since the curbs on lockdown were eased. Regular passenger trains have been suspended since March 25, 2020.
- Both the casualties took place due to IED blasts.
- The BJP unit has also been at loggerheads with the ruling Meghalaya Democratic Alliance (MDA) dispensation with its chief Earnest Mawrie accusing it of anomalies in governance.
- Shahjahanpur’s superintendent of police S Anand, SP, denied reports that the girl was burnt after a failed rape attempt
- An expert team is trying to drain out the lake to prevent another tragedy like the Chamoli flash flood.