Four children die of food posioning in Gangtok
Four children died of food poisoning while three other family elders were in critical condition after having wild mushroon in North Sikkim, as a family reunion in a household four days ago took tragic twist.
Lizum Lepcha (1 year and six months), Norden Lepcha (2), Bhaichung Lepcha (8) and Dawa Lepcha (10) died one by one at the government hospital here in the past three days after being shifted from Chungthang's public health centre, the officials said.
The condition of three other family members Tshering Dorjee Lepcha, Sukmit Lepcha and Sankit Lepcha was stated to be serious, the officials said.
The Lepcha family had eaten wild mushroom during dinner among other spreads to celebrate the visit of their eldest daughter Sankrit at Shipgyer locality in Upper Dzongu region of North Sikkim on May 19 last.
All of them were taken ill the next morning and rushed by the neighbours, first to Chungthang health centre and then referred to the government hospital.