'India, Pak to bid jointly for WC'
The BCCI chief Pawar is in Lahore to watch the first day of the India-Pakistan Test.india Updated: Jan 14, 2006 19:32 IST
India and Pakistan will jointly bid for the 2011 cricket World Cup, Board of Cricket Control in India chief Sharad Pawar said on Friday.
"We want the future World Cup to be hosted jointly by India and Pakistan and others," said Pawar.
"And we will also demand (the World Cup) jointly," he said, reinforcing the request of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) that India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh jointly bid for the premier tournament.
Pawar was speaking after his arrival from Islamabad, where he met Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf. Pawar is in Lahore to watch the first day of the India-Pakistan Test.
Pawar described his meeting with Musharraf as "very good".
"He has taken a lot of interest in cricket. He has wished both teams well. And he wants this series to be played in the sporting spirit, and I am sure that it will be played in the right manner," he said at the Gaddafi Stadium.
Asked whether Prime Minister Manmohan Singh would watch any of the three Tests or five one day internationals being played in Pakistan, Pawar said: "I don't know."
Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Shaharyar Khan, who was also present, remarked that it was "not necessary every time the Prime Minister should come".
Referring to the Champions Trophy, the second most important tournament after the World Cup to be held in India this year, Pawar said: "We have unanimously agreed that matches will be held in Kolkata, New Delhi and Mumbai."
The 10-team tournament will start on October 7 and the final will be played at Mumbai on November 5.
The seedings for the event will be based on the one-day rankings issued April 1 by the International Cricket Council (ICC), and the match schedule will be determined after this date. This was decided at a meeting of the ICC executive board held in Karachi on Thursday.
There will be a full meeting of the ICC board in Dubai in March.
On the issue of telecast rights to cricket matches played in India, which was also discussed at Karachi, Pawar said: "There is no problem regarding the television rights issue. We will also thrash that out by talking about it across the table."
The Government recently issued an order making it mandatory for all private sports channels and broadcasters to share their live feeds with state-owned Doordarshan channel.
Pawar, who was accompanied by his wife, said no decision had been taken on the proposed Twenty20 charity match for victims of the October 8 earthquake.
The match is to be played between India and Pakistan during the 45-day tour.
"We have not talked about the Twenty20 charity match. We will sit down and finalise the future programmes (between India and Pakistan)," he said.