Indian Railways: Key Facts
Indian Railways which carries over 11 million passengers & one million tonnes of freight everyday has over 62,000 kms of track.india Updated: Jun 21, 2003 15:14 IST
• The first train on Indian soil ran in Bombay between Bori Bunder to Thane on 16th of April, 1853.
• Indian Railways has over 62,000 route kms of track.
•Indian Railways employs about 1.6 million people.
•Indian Railways carries over 11 million passengers & one million tonnes of freight everyday.
• It runs about 13,000 trains daily and has 6,984 railway stations.
•The longest journey on Indian Railways is from Jammu Tawi to Kanyakumari, a distance of about 3,751 kms covered by Himsagar Express in about 66 hours.
•The longest railway platform in the world is at Kharagpur measuring 2,733 ft in length.
•Nehru Setu on river Sone is the longest Railway Bridge.
•The longest tunnel is on Konkan Railway, which is 6.5 km in length.
•Calcutta METRO is the first and only underground Railway in India.
•Computerised reservation system first started in New Delhi in 1986.
•First electric train ran on 3rd Feb, 1925 between Bombay VT and Kurla.
• Toilets on Trains were introduced in 1891 in 1st Class & in 1907 in lower classes.
•42 Railway companies operated in the country before Independence.
•Indian Railways is presently divided into 17 Zonal Railways.
•Fairy Queen (1855) is the oldest preserved locomotive in the working order.
•The Manufacture of steam locomotives in the country stopped in 1972.
• Diesel Locomotives are manufactured at DLW, Varanasi. Electric locomotives are manufactured at CLW, Chittaranjan. Coaches are manufactured at ICF/Madras, RCF/Kapurthala & BEML/Bangalore.
• Indian Railways' fastest train is the Bhopal-Shatabdi, which runs at a speed up to 140 Kmph.
• 1st A.C. , 2nd A.C. , 3rd A.C. , A.C. Exec. Chair Car, A.C. Chair car, 1st Class, IInd Sleeper & IInd Ordinary are the various classes of travel on the IR.
• IR's only Rack & Pinion system type of line is from Kallar to Coonoor.
• The National Rail Museum at New Delhi was set up in 1977.
First Published: Jun 21, 2003 11:58 IST