Iran to resume industrial enrichment if taken to SC
Iran would carry out uranium enrichment on an industrial scale if it was hauled up before the UN Security Council, Tehran's nuclear negotiator Ali Larijani warned in an interview on Monday in the
"If we are referred to the Security Council, the government is obliged by the Majlis (Iran's parliament) to lift all voluntary measures including the Additional Protocol" to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), Larijani told the economic daily.
Asked: "Does this mean you would resume fuel production, industrial enrichment?" he replied: "Yes."
The negotiator added, however: "The NPT is still alive and can survive. Iran will stay in the NPT. If the treaty is implemented well, it can help international order."
European Union negotiators Britain, France and Germany, seeking to obtain guarantees that Iran will not use nuclear research to hide secret weapons work, have called an emergency meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency for February 2 to decide whether to bring Iran before the Security Council for possible sanctions. They are backed by Washington.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Uttar Pradesh opened schools in a phased manner with physical classes for Classes 1 to 5 from Monday and for those in Classes 6 to 8, schools restarted from February 10.
- The states of Goa, Chhattisgarh, Bihar, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh have not imposed any travel restrictions so far.
- Nadda claimed that since the BJP was working to carry the country forward, therefore, those with the opportunity to work in the BJP were lucky
- Co-Win's citizen self-registration module will ensure fool-proof identification of deserving candidates for receiving the vaccines, the government has said.
- The prices of petrol and diesel in New Delhi on Monday stood at ₹91.17 per litre and ₹81.47 per litre respectively.
- The decision to bring in a slew of new rules to help the state curb the rising number of cases was taken by Punjab chief minister Amarinder Singh after a meeting with health experts and senior officers on February 23.
- Here are today’s top news, analysis, and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
- Protest enters Day 96, stalemate continues between protesting farmers' unions and Centre.