Kanishka bombing convict to remain in jail

Updated on Feb 06, 2008 08:38 AM IST
The British Columbia government lawyer said Reyat will continue to be held in jail on a 2006 arrest warrant for the perjury charges.
HT Image
HT Image
PTI | By, Toronto

Inderjit Singh Reyat, the only man convicted of being involved in the 1985 Air-India bombing that killed 329 people, may remain in the jail even after his current manslaughter sentence expires this week.



The British Columbia government lawyer said Reyat will continue to be held in jail on a 2006 arrest warrant for the perjury charges, and it will be up to him to ask the court for bail.



The Court would decide whether Reyat could be let out on bail, he added.



There were concerns about him walking free after his manslaughter sentence expires on Feburary nine.



Reyat had pleaded guilty to manslaughter five years ago for his role in the 'Kanishka' bombing. He had been convicted in 1991 for building a second bomb that exploded the same day at Tokyo's Narita Airport, killing two baggage handlers.



He is supposed to face charges of perjury later this year. The charges stem from his testimony at the Air India trial, where the crown alleges that he lied 27 times.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Saturday, August 13, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now