Kerala armed robbery suspect held in West Bengal
A suspect in an armed robbery and a shootout at a gold ornament-manufacturing unit was arrested in West Bengal and was brought in Thrissur on Wednesday.
Dipu, 22, alias Muhammed Shanawaz was arrested at Rishra, 32 km from Kolkata, according to police.
"He was brought by train today," said Sub-Inspector PR Bijoy of the Thrissur East police station.
The robbery took place on November 26 last year. A three-member gang, all from West Bengal, fired on workers at an ornament unit, located in Thrissur town, 80 km from Kochi, and decamped with about 50 sovereigns of gold and cash worth Rs 20, 000.
A few days after the incident, police arrested Imthias, Mehroof and Anwar, all from West Bengal, in connection with the incident.
"Imthias and Mehroof were the masterminds. They did not take part in the operation," the police official told IANS.
It was Shanawaz, Anwar and Chottu who executed the robbery. Anwar was injured after he accidentally shot himself. Shanawaz and Chottu, reportedly brought here from West Bengal to execute the crime, left Kerala immediately after the incident.
"We could not find Chottu as he left the village. When we tried to take Shanawaz into custody, a mob tried to stop us. But we could do the job with the help of local police," Bijoy said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- French foreign minister Jean-Yves Le Drian and finance minister Bruno Le Maire will be in Delhi next month while IAF chief Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria will be in France. At least 8 Rafale fighters will leave for India through mid-air refuelling by UAE between April 19 and April 23.
- The order also said that Kailashnathan will head an executive council set up for the purpose,
- Congress is like an ocean, Gandhi said in the national executive meeting of the IYC, and if anyone wants to return can be allowed to do so.
- The two-day trip to Dhaka will be Modi’s first foreign visit in 15 months
- Parties urge Speaker, Chairman to reduce sessions amid polls; both Houses to begin at 11 am from Tuesday
- Additional sessions judge Sandeep Yadav convicted 35-year-old Khan, also known as Junaid, Salim and Anna
- The database uses Aadhaar-based data generated from key farm sector programmes such as PM-KISAN.
- Police data shows that some of the 522 passengers nabbed in last 5 years while carrying live bullets in their bags claimed they had done so unknowingly
- Private firms will likely claim that the law interferes with their constitutional rights to carry on trade freely
- From SC-ST social groups, reservations have expanded to OBCs, economically weaker sections
- The revenue in March may cross the record Rs.1,19,875 crore collected in January by at least Rs.10,000 crore.
- Officials said that an inquiry committee, constituted by the Visitor of Delhi University (DU), the President of India, held its final meeting.
- BJP MLAs supported the bill and called it a gift for women on the occasion of Women’s Day