Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 18, 2018-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Kidnapped schoolkids murdered in the Capital

Two teenaged boys were kidnapped on their way home from school and later killed by their abductors, reports Sobhana K.

india Updated: Feb 14, 2007 03:11 IST
Sobhana K
Sobhana K

Two teenagedboys were kidnapped on their way home from school and later killed by their abductors in Delhi on Monday.

The bodies of Chetan Swaroop, 14, and his cousin Sahil Goyal, 13, both students of Sarvodaya Senior Secondary Model School, were recovered from the Wazirabad ridge late in the night after the abductors were arrested, police and family members of the boys said on Tuesday.

The boys belonged to a joint family, which owned a grocery shop, at A-block Chandu Nagar, on Karawal Nagar Road, in northeast Delhi.

Four persons — Bijender, Mohammed Nadeem, Shakeel and Vinod Kumar — were

arrested from a PCO in the nearby Shiv Vihar locality at 10:30 pm. The abductors were caught making a ransom call, nearly seven hours after they had killed the boys, a senior police officer said.

“Bijender along with three others had plotted the kidnap for ransom. Bijender’s brother, Sonu, used to work at the shop owned by the Goyal family. Bijender himself worked at a nearby stationary shop,” said Rupinder Kumar, additional deputy commissioner of police (DCP).

Revealing the plot, he said Bijender and Vinod, who owned an autorickshaw, had laid a trap near the school. When the boys stepped out after school around 1:30 pm, Bijender offered them a lift home. “The children knew Bijender so they did not hesitate,” the DCP said. The kidnappers took the boys a secluded place in the Wazirabad ridge area.

The police said the kidnappers slashed the boys’ necks two hours later “in panic” as they feared they would get caught. But that did not stop them from making the ransom calls. They called up the victims’ family around 7:45 pm and demanded Rs 4 lakh.

The police tracked the call to the PCO in Shiv Vihar and when the abductors returned to make another call, they were arrested.

Karawal Nagar remained tense on Tuesday. Fearing a repeat of Nithari, where angry villagers indulged in rioting over serial killing of children, the Delhi Police deployed additional forces in the area to maintain peace.

Email Sobhana K:


First Published: Feb 14, 2007 03:11 IST