Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 13, 2018-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Kurla to get railway budget hotel

The IRCTC has been offered land in the prime central suburb of Kurla by the Central Railway.

india Updated: Oct 15, 2006 23:11 IST

The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), which is in the process of setting up budget hotels at railway stations inMumbai to cater to the middle-class traveller, has been offered land in the prime central suburb of Kurla by the Central Railway (CR).

The move follows the finalising of Carnac Bunder for a similar hotel at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST).

“The CR has offered us land near the Lokmanya Tilak Terminus at Kurla and we are in the process of assessing it. Besides Kurla on CR, Western Railway (WR) has also offered us land at Bandra for the hotel project,” IRCTC Group General Manager Rajiv Dutt Sharmasaid. “We have also identified sites at Mumbai Central but are yet to get confirmation on the from WR.”

At CST, central railway last week finalised the site for a new station complex on the now disused Carnac Bunder’s 20 acres. After a budget hotel and the office of the Divisional Railways Manager (DRM) at the site, there will still be a spare plot left that will be put to commercial use.

Each budget hotel will be at par with two-star hotels and will be constructed on an area of 1,600 sqm to 2,400 sqm. It will be close to the railway station and each will have between 70 and 100 rooms.

The plan is to keep 30 per cent of the rooms at rents controlled by the railways and the remaining 70 per cent at the normal commercial rate. The hotels will come up on a build-operate-transfer (BOT) basis; the builder will to run them for 30 years before transferring it to the railway.

Other cities that have been identified for building similar budget hotels are Pune, Nagpur, Shirdi, Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Veraval and Indore. In all, zonal railways will have 37 hotels in the country.

First Published: Oct 15, 2006 23:11 IST