Kylie Minogue clear of cancer: Publicist
Australian pop superstar Kylie Minogue has had no recurrence of breast cancer since an operation in May, but her treatment is continuing, her publicist said on Friday.india Updated: Jan 14, 2006 00:39 IST
Australian pop superstar Kylie Minogue has had no recurrence of breast cancer since an operation in May, but her treatment is continuing, her publicist said on Friday.
The statement was issued following a report in British tabloid newspaper The Sun that the 37-year-old singer had been given the all clear by doctors.
According to the report, the news was given by doctors in Paris, the home of Minogue's partner, French actor Olivier Martinez, a week ago and she had returned to Australia to celebrate.
Minogue was "utterly, unbelievably overjoyed" to learn that the six-month chemotherapy treatment programme for breast cancer had been successful, the paper said, citing an unnamed source "close" to the star.
"She is thrilled and relieved. It's been a tough few months and there have been times when she felt very weak and very down," the paper quoted the source as saying.
"For the past couple of months she has been feeling very positive and healthy. She has put a bit of weight on and has been feeling confident about the future."
The statement from Minogue's publicist was positive but more cautious.
"On May 21st last year Kylie's surgeon announced that the operation to remove the cancer was successful," the statement said.
"Since that time Kylie has been undergoing treatments to prevent a return of the cancer. Kylie remains keen to return to work and in particular to re-schedule the 'Showgirl' tour of Australia.