Lanka tri-series opener called off
The decision comes a day after a bomb ripped through a high-security zone in the vicinity of team hotels in Colombo.india Updated: Aug 15, 2006 15:37 IST
The cricket tri-series opener between South Africa and Sri Lanka was called off here on Tuesday, a day after a powerful bomb ripped through a high-security zone in the vicinity of team hotels.
Sri Lankan media manager Samantha Algama said the match, a day-night affair to be hosted by Premdasa Stadium, had been called off.
Although no reason was stated officially for the cancellation of the day-night tie, it is believed the South Africans were waiting for a word from their Government on whether they should continue with the tour.
Indian team manager Sanjay Jagdale said they had been informed that the meeting, slated for 10 am this morning, had been postponed.
"We have been informed that the meeting has been postponed but nothing has been said as to why this decision was taken," Jagdale said.
However, officials of Sri Lanka Cricket were in talks with the South African team management over the security scenario in the capital city, Jagdale said.
As for the Indian team, it chose not to go to the Indian High Commission for an Independence Day function.
Jagdale said the team members had been advised to stay indoors and the High Commission did not want them to undergo any security hassles.
The Indian team has been provided with bullet proof cars and players have been advised to travel only in these if they want to go out.
The Indian team, which is scheduled to take on the hosts on Wednesday, will have a practice session in the afternoon.
The tri-series has been thrown into disarray following the bomb explosion which killed seven and injured several others.
First Published: Aug 15, 2006 11:11 IST