Maha govt moves SC against Salman’s acquittal in hit-and-run case
The petition was filed in the Supreme Court against the Bombay high court’s judgement acquitting Salman Khan of all charges, overturning trial court’s order sentencing him for five years.india Updated: Jan 22, 2016 23:15 IST
The Maharashtra government filed its appeal in Supreme Court on Friday against last month’s Bombay High Court judgement giving a clean chit to Bollywood actor Salman Khan in the 2002 hit-and-run accident case.
The state said the HC had erred in arriving at a conclusion that the investigation was conducted in a “careless and faulty manner.” The December 10, 2015 “recorded hypothesis” while acquitting the actor.
The appeal, filed by state counsel Nishant R Katneshwarkar, criticised the HC ruling on the ground it ignored Salman’s conduct who did not make any attempt to report the incident to the police after it happened.
While pronouncing Salman innocent, the HC had reversed the trial court’s May 2015 order that sentenced the actor to five years in jail for killing a man while driving his SUV after a night out drinking on September 28, 2002. The actor’s Toyota Land Cruiser had crashed into five men sleeping outside a bakery in Bandra.
According to the state, the actor took the defence that his driver was driving the vehicle at the time of the accident for the first time in 12 years.
The HC had ignored the crucial statement of the injured witness who had testified Salman was on the driver’s seat, the state said. It insisted the court should have taken into account the evidence of the actor’s bodyguard, Ravindra Patil. Patil had died by the time trial started in the case.
First Published: Jan 22, 2016 21:55 IST