Mumbai blasts accused denies being tortured
The accused in the Mumbai blasts on Wednesday told a special judge that he had no complaint against the police.india Updated: Oct 25, 2006 19:59 IST
Mohd Sajid Ansari, an accused in the July 11 train blasts whose mother had moved the court alleging he had been tortured in custody, on Wednesday told a special judge that he had no complaint against the police.
When MCOCA judge Mrudula Bhatkar asked Sajid if he had any complaint to make against the police, all he replied was "no". On Tuesday, on his mother Hasina Khatoon Ansari's application, Bhatkar had asked the Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS), probing the bombings, to produce him before the court.
When he was produced, Bhatkar observed that prima facie there were no injury marks on his hands—as alleged by his mother—but there were black spots below the eyes. To ascertain if it was the result of any assault, the judge ordered that he be taken to the government-run JJ Hospital in Mumbai.
The hospital superintendent will have to submit a medical report to the court on Thursday, when Sajid's police custody will expire. On his lawyer Amin Solkar's request, the court allowed his family physician to remain present during the medical examination.
Sajid himself had not complained of torture, but when police took the accused to his home on October 22 for conducting search for a SIM card, his mother said she noticed that his hands were swollen and there were black spots below the eyes. Therefore, she moved the court to get Sajid medically examined.
First Published: Oct 25, 2006 19:59 IST