Muslim girl killed for love affair with Hindu
A Muslim man has been arrested for killing his teenaged daughter who was in love with a Hindu youth from the same village, police said on Thursday.
Mushtakeem, a resident of Mawaithakuran village, strangled his 18-year-old daughter Rehana Parveen after she insisted on marrying her lover Bhoora Prajapati, 21, police said.
Mushtakeem was arrested late on Wednesday after Parveen's body was recovered from their home. The village is in Moradabad district, some 300 km from Lucknow.
According to police, Prajapati and Parveen used to meet regularly in the fields on the outskirts of the village. But as Parveen had not been coming for the last few days, Prajapati approached police suspecting the girl could be in trouble.
Police raided Mushtakeem's house and recovered his daughter's body from a locked room.
"Preliminary investigations indicate it's a case of honour killing. The father has confessed to the crime," police inspector Ravi Kumar told reporters on Thursday.
"The father told us he committed the crime as he thought his daughter's marriage with the youth of a different community would bring a bad name to the family," he added.
According to police, besides the father, the girl's family members could also be involved in the crime.
"Investigations are on in this regard," said Kumar.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- On Monday, Odisha reported 668 large forest fires.
- The 13th floor houses the accounts office of the Eastern Railways.
- Apni Party chief Altaf Bukhari said that political parties should join hand to fight for the restoration of Jammu and Kashmir's special status and not just sit and watch how the BJP’s plan unfolds.
- Vrindavan is home to thousands of widows who have either been abandoned by their families or are just alone in the world.
- Four Chhattisgarh legislators have contracted Covid-19 during the ongoing budget session of the legislative assembly which began on February 22.