Over 100 students suffer dysentery in east China
More than 100 students in east China's Anhui Province have become the latest victims of food poisoning.Updated: Oct 16, 2006 08:18 IST
More than 100 middle school students in east China's Anhui Province have become the latest victims of food poisoning or drinking contaminated water in China, the state media reported on Monday.
Over 100 students in Xincang Middle School in Taihu County have been sickened with bacillary dysentery, local officials said.
The students were rushed to doctors after developing symptoms of diarrhoea since Friday, Xinhua news agency reported from Hefei, the provincial capital.
More than 70 students have once been hospitalised so far, 34 were still receiving medical treatment in the hospital, officials said, adding that all the students are in stable condition.
The provincial centre of diseases control and prevention has diagnosed the patients as having bacillary dysentery after testing their drinking water and excrement.
The centre said unclean drinking water was blamed for the poisoning.
The local education authorities have ordered students not to drink unboiled water and schools to crank up sanitation campaigns immediately after the incident.
Chinese schools have witnessed a series of food poisoning cases in recent weeks which have killed a girl student and sickened over 700 others. The government has urged education officials and schools to step up efforts to provide safe and fresh food to children.
First Published: Oct 16, 2006 08:18 IST