Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 25, 2019-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

PCB failed to observe anti-doping codes: Ahsan

Ahsan said that PCB was not a signatory to ICC or WADA's doping code, it was not mandatory to carry out such tests.

india Updated: Nov 19, 2006 23:05 IST
Indo-Asian News Service
Indo-Asian News Service

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) failed to observe World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) codes during the dope test on fast bowlers Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammed Asif, said former player Hasib Ahsan, according to a media report Sunday.

"There are many pre-requisites in WADA regulations and those have not been fulfilled by the PCB," Ahsan, who is also a member of the three-man appeals committee set up by the PCB, was quoted as saying by the Dawn newspaper.

"If the defence counsels of Shoaib and Asif effectively point out the loopholes in the dope tests, the appeal committee will have to consider and accept their pleadings," he said.

A PCB doping tribunal on November 1, banned Shoaib, 31, for two years and Asif, 23, for one year after it was revealed that both had taken banned steroid nandrolone. PCB conducted the tests in September, and both players missed the Champions Trophy in India following the revelation during the tournament.

The appeal committee, headed by retired justice Fakruddin Ebrahim, will meet on Monday to hear the charges on Shoaib and Asif.

Ahsan, a former chief selector, also said that since the PCB was not a signatory to International Cricket Council (ICC) or WADA's doping code, it was not mandatory to carry out such tests.

He went on to add that the PCB made blunders by making public the names of both the players in complete violation of the ICC and PCB anti-doping code.

The newspaper's sources in the PCB endorsed Hasib's views and said that the board was apparently in hot soup since the appeals committee had found out gross violations of WADA and ICC Doping Code during the dope tests conducted on Shoaib and Asif.

The study of the procedure reveals that the dope tests should be conducted within one hour of issuing the suspect athlete a written notification to present himself at the venue of inquiry.

Sohail only informed Shoaib and Asif of their notice on telephone after which it took Shoaib a good five days to appear for the test while Asif managed to appear for his test after five hours of Sohail's phone call.

First Published: Nov 19, 2006 23:05 IST