Raj made popular to polarise votes: Sena
Shiv Sena has accused the state government of making the two-year-old Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) popular by staging the political drama of Raj Thackeray's arrest.
"What has been the achievement after the arrest of Raj Thackeray? Only one thing - people have started taking note of his two-year-old party," party mouthpiece Saamana editor Sanjay Raut said on February 17 in his Sunday column Rok Thok.
"The manner in which Raj Thackeray was arrested appears to be a political conspiracy to divide the Maharashtrians united by Shiv Sena. For this Raj should thank Congress-NCP govt", he said.
Raut said both the Centre and the state government have adopted the policy of "divide and rule". Before the next assembly elections in the state, if MNS is made popular then it would divide the Maharashtrian vote, he added.
He said firstly there was no need to arrest Raj, secondly if he were to be arrested then the delay was unwarranted. What happened in the case of Raj only goes to show that all are not equal before the eyes of law.
He said the Congress-NCP government in Maharashtra wanted to polarise the Marathi vote bank. Hence they instructed the police to delay the arrest as much as they could. The idea was to increase the stature of Raj Thackeray and corner Sena.
Raut said but these attempts will not bear any fruit. The relations between Shiv Sena and the Marathi people is so strong that such attemps will not have any effect, he added.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The games in Gulmarg will see participation of 1200 athletes from 27 states and Union Territories (UTs) besides the armed forces personnel.
- Dantewada SP rubbished the allegations saying the deceased surrendered in front of the media and her interrogation report and statements of other Maoists showed clearly that she was working as a CNM member.
- The meeting which was held between the Director Generals of Military Operations of India and Pakistan also reviewed the current situation across the Line of Control (LoC) and other sectors ‘in a free, frank and cordial atmosphere’, the statement said.
- Here are today’s top news, analysis, and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
- China has been carrying out rapid military-infra upgrade across the Upper Subansiri district in Arunachal Pradesh including at least three new bridges, troop sheds and a new 66-kilometre road