Singers Alka, Abhijeet enthrall Trinidad
Bollywood singing sensations Alka Yagnik and Abhijeet Bhattacharya enthralled audiences in Trinidad, entertaining over 7,000 fans with their songs.
The two belted out one hit number after another at the Centre of Excellence in Port-of-Spain on Saturday night.
Malick Indian Dancers, a local group, joined Alka as she sang the popular number You are my Sonia. She ended her first performance of the evening amidst cheers and blown kisses with her famous hit Bole chudiya.
Then the moment of euphoria erupted. Abhijeet, whose luggage was left in New York, sang a series of his popular hits, which included Bari mushkil hai and Bahut khoobsurat ho.
The show ended around 1 am on Sunday, but the audience gathered there wanted more from their favourite singers.
Bollywood entertainers draw huge crowds in the Carribean, given the sizeable population of ethnic Indians. The 500,000-strong Indian diaspora comprises 40 per cent of Trinidad and Tobago's population.
Indian movies continue to be one of the main sources of entertainment among Trinidadians, even non-Indians. Indian movies and Bollywood entertainers help maintain the sociological and cultural links between India and its Trinidadian diaspora.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The finance department has written to the top brass of various departments, offices and administration to ensure strict compliance to the finance and treasury rules for maintaining fiscal discipline.
- In a letter to Puri king Gajapati Dibya Singha Deb, Union minister for petroleum and natural gas, Dharmendra Pradhan urged him to launch a mass fund collection drive to enable contribution by crores of devotees of Lord Jagannath for the development of the Jagannath Temple heritage corridor.
- Cryptocurrency is, however, not legally banned and the government is in the process of enacting a law on this matter.
- The PM asked the three services to rid themselves of legacy systems and practices that are no longer relevant.
- According to the police, some young men were dancing at the DJ night in a wedding ceremony, during which one of the accused pointed the pistol at the forehead of another youth.
- In January this year, Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde ruled out any reopening of courts for the present.