Six-yr-old survives after being pierced by iron rod
A six-year-old boy, pierced by an iron rod through his stomach when he fell from the roof of his house in Jharkhand on Wednesday, is stable now after undergoing emergency surgery, doctors said on Thursday.india Updated: Mar 13, 2009 01:27 IST
A six-year-old boy, pierced by an iron rod through his stomach when he fell from the roof of his house in Jharkhand on Wednesday, is stable now after undergoing emergency surgery, doctors said on Thursday.
Nehul was playing Holi with his friends in his house in Hazaribagh district when he fell from the roof and was pierced through the torso by an iron rod, protruding from the house.
He was brought to the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) with the iron rod pierced through his body all the way from Hazaribag — a distance of about 100 km. A four-member team, headed by Dr Sandeep Agrawal, operated upon Nehul on Wednesday night and removed the rod.
“We took Nehul to Sadar Hospital where doctors administered pain killer and anti-tetanus injections while referring the case to RIMS,” Nehul’s father Arun said.
Nehul remained conscious and responded to the call of parents till they reached the RIMS trauma centre at about 9.30 am.
“The very thought of a rod through the body could have killed a grown up person with shock. But Nehul was really strong,” Dr Meghraj Kundan, assisting Dr Agarwal in the operation, told Hindustan Times. “The next 24 hours will be very crucial for Nehul,” he said.
(With agency inputs)
First Published: Mar 13, 2009 01:25 IST