Smoke kills five members of family in Ghaziabad
Five members of a family, including three women and a minor, were killed at their Gulab Vatika house in Loni on Sunday morning.india Updated: Nov 15, 2010 00:26 IST
Five members of a family, including three women and a minor, were killed at their Gulab Vatika house in Loni on Sunday morning.
The police said the victims choked to death after a fire broke out in their house due to a suspected short circuit.
The incident occurred around 5-6 am on Sunday when five members of Bhupinder Jain's family, a local trader, were still sleeping.
“No one could get out of the house in time,” said Jain's father Vimal Prasad Jain.
After the elder Jain raised a hue and cry, the neighbours rushed to the house and broke open the door. “One of Jain’s daughters suffered some burns on her hand and her hair was also burnt,” said Malook Chand, an eyewitness who rushed to help the victims.
The victims were rushed to GTB Hospital in Delhi where they were declared dead later.
“The cause of incident was a short circuit inside the air conditioner. Household items also caught fire later following which thick fumes filled the house with a single ventilation over the roof,” senior superintendent of police (SSP) Raghubir Lal said.
The only ventilation on the roof was covered with a thick plastic sheet as it had rained the previous night. The victims included Bhupinder Jain, his wife Kusum Jain (55), his daughter Megha Jain (21), another daughter Ruchi Jain (30) and her son.
First Published: Nov 15, 2010 00:24 IST