Three autolifters arrested
Three alleged members of an interstate autolifting gang have been arrested on charges of stealing more than 50 vehicles from the National Capital Region in the last two years, police said.
Ashfaq, a resident of Faridabad, led the gang since 2006 but couldn’t be arrested in an earlier raid last year, said an officer.
This time, Crime Branch’s Special Operations Squad caught Ashfaq with help from his accomplice Ramesh who was arrested riding a stolen motorcycle on July 7 near Kalindi Kunj. Another member, Vakir, was also arrested, police said.
“We recovered 17 motorcycles and a car. They used to steal vehicles parked on roadsides and were active in Delhi, Faridabad, Noida and Gurgaon,” said Neeraj Thakur, DCP (Crime Branch).
Ashfaq learnt forging registration and other papers from a friend who works at the transport authority in Farukhabad, said an officer. The gang used to sell stolen vehicles at market value.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The Shiv Sena which is a marginal force in West Bengal, is aiming to punch much above its weight.
- I&B ministry summons Amazon Prime officials in India over controversy around web series ‘Tandav’, reports ANI
- HT had reported on Wednesday that the panel was mulling the decision in the wake of the privacy concerns surrounding WhatsApp’s new policy.
- Chinar Corps commander Lt Gen BS Raju said the Line of Control remains fairly active because of Pakistan's attempts to push in terrorists.
- The Delhi Police in its application seeking injunction against farmers taking out a tractor rally had said that the tractor rally could cause law and order problems and embarrass the country.