Top ten holiday spots
If you have a week and Rs 20,000-50,000 to spare, explore some places off the beaten track this summerindia Updated: Jun 03, 2012 00:22 IST
If you have a week and Rs 20,000-50,000 to spare, explore some places off the beaten track this summer
1. Cherrapunji (Meghalaya) — The abode of clouds. Over a 1,000 caves to choose from.
2. Lonar (Maharashtra) — For geology and wildlife enthusiasts. It has the world’s third largest crater, the Lonar Meteorite Crater.
3. Minicoy Island (Lakshadweep) — Island hopping, snorkelling, scuba diving in clear blue waters.
4. Matheran (Maharashtra) — The only hill spot where motor vehicles are banned. The toy train up offers spectacular views.
5. Tawang (Arunachal) — Unexplored forests and river rafting options. Beautiful mountains and monasteries and the 100 lakes make it a must-visit.
6. Ananda ( Uttaranchal) — A world class spa in the Himalayas to help you unwind.
7. Majuli Island (Assam) — Opt for a boat tour at the world’s largest river island. The islets here preserve artefacts of cultural and historical importance: weapons, jewellery, utensils etc.
8. Munnar (Kerala) — The idyllic tourist destination in God’s Own Country. Head to Thekkedy for mountains, fresh air and calm.
9. Kurumgad Island (Karnataka) — Pristine island (45 min from the mainland by boat) with 360-degree view of the ocean.
10. Leh (J&K) — The most attractive features are the Buddhist monasteries and festivals at Likir and Phyang. Check out trekking routes of the lunar mountain or trans-mountain treks with camping in the wilderness.