New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Sep 16, 2019-Monday



Select city

Metro cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata

Other cities - Noida, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhopal , Chandigarh , Dehradun, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi

Monday, Sep 16, 2019

Two days on, no headway

A headway eluded Faridabad police two days after a 20-year-old call centre employee was gangraped by nine men near NH-2, Prabhu Razdan reports.

india Updated: Aug 12, 2012 00:40 IST
Prabhu Razdan
Prabhu Razdan
Hindustan Times

A headway eluded Faridabad police two days after a 20-year-old call centre employee was gangraped by nine men near NH-2.

Even though the police had netted one accused, there was no trace of the remaining eight. The police claimed to have launched a massive search operation in different parts of Haryana to nab the accused.

A medical examination had confirmed rape but the police have sent clothes and semen samples to the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL), Madhuban, Haryana, for further clues.

"We are yet to arrest other accused in the gang rape case though our teams are on the job to," SHO Sector 55 Police station Devinder Singh said, adding, "Houses of relatives of the accused spread across the state are being raided."

Sources did not rule out the accused having fled to Rajasthan or Uttar Pradesh as towns like Aligarh, Agra, Bharatpur, Bhiwadi are close to Haryana. "We cannot comment on this, but we are doing everything to trace their whereabouts," a senior police officer said.

The lone accused arrested in connection with the gangrape, Barti, has confessed to his crime, the police said. "During the course of interrogation, Barti confessed to having raped the girl but he refused to speak about others," said a police officer involved in the investigation.

Barti was produced before the court on Saturday and was sent into police custody. Other named accused in the case, Inderjeet, Lukka, Santau and Naveen Kumar-are all residents of Jadsanti area, near NH-2 (Mathura Road). The police have also registered a case against four unnamed persons.

"Barti has confessed that the main accused is Inderjeet, who knew the girl," police said. "Our focus is on Inderjeet, once we lay our hands on him, we are hopeful of solving the case and nabbing other accused."

Nine youth gangraped the girl, an employee of a Delhi Jal Board call centre, in three cars on the intervening night of August 9 and 10 in Ballabgarh area. The victim was dumped near an over bridge in Ballabgarh around midnight.

First Published: Aug 12, 2012 00:37 IST