Vengsarkar disappointed with team
Vengsarkar minces no words in criticising the Indian batsmen for not being able to bat even 70 overs to save the second Test.india Updated: Jan 01, 2007 18:13 IST
Chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar minced no words in criticising the top Indian batsmen for not being able to bat even 70 overs to save the second cricket Test against South Africa.
"I am absolutely disappointed about the whole thing because the main batsmen could not bat well till 70 overs of the Test match," Vengsarkar said.
"The thing is that they should have batted just 70 overs to save the Test match which they could not. This was a very poor show, I would say," he said.
India failed to build upon their 1-0 advantage in the three-Test series, going down by 174 runs in the second match in Durban.
Vegsarkar also singled out opener Virender Sehwag for his "miserable" performances, saying it was a big worry for the team but did not comment on changing the opening combination for the third and deciding Test beginning here tomorrow.
"I do not know about that (change in opening combination). I do not want to comment on that to be honest. I think he (Sehwag) has played miserably on this tour. It is a big worry for all of us," Vengsarkar said.
He, however, expressed confidence that the team will rise to the occasion to win the third Test and the series, which is locked 1-1.
"Everybody, I think, will be able to perform, as I said earlier this is a very important Test match for us to win the match series.
"In the first Test I think, we played very well, second Test match disappointing, but the third we have to win it," he said.