Zim's West Indies tour in dire straits
The entire Zimbabwe squad of 35 players refused to play any cricket under its national body as outstanding match fees and salaries remain unpaid.Updated: Feb 02, 2006 19:41 IST
The entire Zimbabwe squad of 35 players formally refused to play any cricket under its national body on Thursday as outstanding match fees and salaries remain unpaid.
A letter delivered to the Zimbabwe Cricket office stated that no contracted player would now be available for any kind of international, regional or domestic match other than for their clubs.
"Zimbabwe Cricket has really had it now," said the players' representative, Clive Field. "The players relented from a similar position to give ZC a further three weeks until the end of the month to pay the large sums of money owed them. But they are now simply walking away."
The ZC board announced three weeks ago it would only play one-dayers and not test cricket amid accusations of financial irregularities over the past two years.
West Indies cricket chief executive Roger Brathwaite, meanwhile, said Thursday his board is considering canceling the tour by Zimbabwe in May. Brathwaite said alternative opponents had been sought but that none were available.
In a related move, the players' attorney Beatrice Mtetwa is examining a new ZC proposal for payment. She is still expected to issue a summons against the organization led by chairman Peter Chingoka.
A summons would trigger a High Court action for payment of more than US$ 750 000 owed to the players in match fees and salaries going back six months.
First Published: Feb 02, 2006 19:41 IST