7 years on, serial blast case trial makes little headway

Updated on May 14, 2015 07:53 PM IST
On May 13, 2008 nine bomb blasts ripped through the walled city in Jaipur, leaving 71 dead and 200 injured. Seven years have down the line, the trial in the special court, set up to ensure a speedy trial in the case, has not moved much
On-May-13-2008-nine-bomb-blasts-ripped-through-the-walled-city-in-Jaipur-leaving-71-dead-and-200-injured-HT-File-Photo
On-May-13-2008-nine-bomb-blasts-ripped-through-the-walled-city-in-Jaipur-leaving-71-dead-and-200-injured-HT-File-Photo
None | By, Jaipur

On May 13, 2008 nine bomb blasts ripped through the walled city in Jaipur, leaving 71 dead and 200 injured. Seven years have down the line, the trial in the special court, set up to ensure a speedy trial in the case, has not moved much.

While statements of around 800 people remain to be recorded and several accused still roaming scot free, the special court has not heard the case for the past one-and-a-half months in absence of a presiding judge.

This is not the first time that the case has been put on back-burner. In 2009, the then government had announced that a special court will be constituted to hear the serial blast case, which eventually started functioning in 2013.

Eventually after the trial started in the eight cases, filed against nine accused, statements of around 1,000 witnesses were to be recorded. So far, statements of only around 200 people have been recorded.

Advocate Packer Farrukh, the advocate for accused, told HT: “The police have filed charge sheet in eight cases in the Jaipur bomb blasts case. We have requested the court (that) the cases should be heard together, because most of the witnesses are common and the eight cases are of the same nature. But trial in only one case is going on. It is disturbing that the judge is not in the chair and two accused are in Gujarat.”

Of nine accused, only five have been arrested till date, while four others are absconding. Charge sheets have been filed against Shabaz Hussain, Mohammed Sarvar, Mohammed Saif, Saiffur Rahman and Mohammed Salman. But the other accused in the case-Sajid Baba, Mohammed Khalid, Aariz and Shadab Malik, all hailing from Azamgarh-have not been arrested and police believe they may have fled the country.

Three of the accused in the Jaipur bomb blast case, Shabaz Hussain, Mohmad Sarvar and Mohammad Salman are in Jaipur jail. Of the accused who have been arrested, Mohmad Saif and Saiffur Rahman are lodged in a jail in Ahmedabad, as the duo is also accused in the Ahmedabad bomb blast case.

Since hearing was also on in the Ahmedabad bomb blast case, the two accused were unable to come to Jaipur for hearing due to clash of dates and pendency of trial. Finally, the special court in Jaipur ordered the Gujarat and Rajasthan governments to arrange for video-conferencing for hearing the case. But even after arrangements were made by the Rajasthan government and the video-conferencing began from 2010, the hearings have been held only intermittently. Consequently, justice has become a perennial wait for the victims’ kin.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • The driver and the cleaner of the truck also died in accident. (Getty Images/iStockphoto)

    Truck rams into house in Uttar Pradesh’s Mainpuri, kills couple

    A retired police sub-inspector and Parushram Singh's' wife were killed when a truck carrying building material rammed into their roadside house at Kurawali in Uttar Pradesh's Mainpuri district on Monday night, a police officer said. Senior police superintendent Kamlesh Kumar Dixit said the truck on its way from Delhi lost control and rammed into Parushram Singh's house. “Parushram Singh and his wife died. ... Rescue operations were undertaken and injured were sent for treatment,” said Dixit.

  • Police personnel deployed to maintain law and order after a dispute between two groups in Shivamogga.

    Shivamogga: Man accused of stabbing ‘shot in leg’, say police; 3 held so far

    Three people have been arrested and police are on the lookout for a fourth after clashes between two communities in Karnataka's Shivamogga district led to violence. The two communities clashed Monday over the display of banners showing Hindutva ideologue Vinayak Damodar Savarkar and 18th century ruler Tipu Sultan. The third accused - Mohammed Jabi alias Charbi - is the man who attacked the policeman, who is being treated Zabi's his injuries.

  • The Kolkata Municipal Corporation has identified at least 13 wards as highly prone to dengue. (Shutterstock)

    Dengue cases shot up around 7 times in Bengal till August first week

    Dengue cases shot up nearly seven times in West Bengal till August first week compared to last year even as at least 11 municipalities have been identified the areas where the disease is taking a heavy toll. The state health department said around 450 dengue cases were detected till the first week of August in 2021. This year, the number has shot up to 3,104 during the same period.

  • The evolution of BMTC buses from 1997 to 2022. (Image source: Siddharth/Twitter)

    In Bengaluru, BMTC marks 25 years on Independence Day; Twitter shows support

    As India celebrated 75 years of freedom, the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation observed 25 years of its inception and offered free rides to all commuters in the state capital of Karnataka on Monday. It has been 25 years since the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation was established and demand for the public transport seems to be rising steadily amid Bengaluru's daily battles with heavy traffic congestion. Messages of support emerged on Twitter.

  • The incident has sent shockwaves in the area. 

    70-year-old woman, daughter-in-law found murdered in northwest Delhi

    A 70-year-old woman and her daughter-in-law were found murdered at their residence at Subhash Park in northwest Delhi in the early hours of Tuesday, police said. The elderly woman's two grandsons discovered the bodies with stab wounds in their respective bedrooms on the ground and first floor of their house after they returned from a trip to Rishikesh and Mussoorie in Uttarakhand. Police said a murder case has been registered.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Tuesday, August 16, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now