77 students fall ill in Rajasthan after taking deworming tablets
The students complained of vomiting, stomach ache and headache after they were given the tablets.jaipur Updated: Feb 08, 2018 21:37 IST
Seventy-seven children fell sick in Rajasthan after being administered deworming tablets on Thursday.
The health department gave the tablets to 2.41 crore children on the national deworming day at schools and anganwari centres. Director (reproductive and child health) Dr SM Mittal said children with worm infestation suffered from nausea, stomach ache, vomiting, headache and allergy.
“As 77 children suffering from such problems have been reported in the state. They were taken to hospitals and most of them have been discharged,” Mittal said.
Three children have been admitted to Dholpur district hospital and are under observation. “Their condition is not serious,” he said.
Fourteen students -- 10 girls and four boys -- of SD School in Saradhna block of Ajmer district fell sick after taking albendazole 400mg tablets. They were rushed to JLN hospital and later discharged.
The students in the 5-13 age group complained about vomiting, stomach ache and headache after they were given the tablets.
Parents in Ajmer complained that schools did not arrange for transport to send their children to hospital. “Instead they phoned us and asked us to take our wards to hospital after their condition worsened,” alleged a parent. “We took our children to hospital on our own.”
Dr Rampal Chudhary, Ajmer district reproductive and child medical health officer, claimed that students did not fall sick because of deworming tablets. “It is a very safe tablet and do not have any side effects.”
Over 1 lakh children were given the same medicine in the district, but no such incident has been reported, Chudhary said. “They (children) may have suffered sickness due to some other reasons.”
Dr Mittal said, “Those children who did not come to schools will be administered deworming tablets on February 16.”
First Published: Feb 08, 2018 21:37 IST