Prohibitory orders clamped in Nagaur’s Dangawas village
Prohibitory orders under section 144 of the CrPC were clamped on Monday in Nagaur’s Dangawas village where a bloody clash between Jats and Dalits over a land dispute had left four people dead and many injured on May 14jaipur Updated: May 19, 2015 16:31 IST
Prohibitory orders under section 144 of the CrPC were clamped on Monday in Nagaur’s Dangawas village where a bloody clash between Jats and Dalits over a land dispute had left four people dead and many injured on May 14.
Officials said the prohibitory orders in Dangawas and Merta city had been imposed as a precautionary measure and would remain in force “till further orders”.
District collector Rajan Vishal also handed over cheques of `5.62 lakh each as compensation to the families of three Dalit victims – Ratanram Meghwal, Pokaram Meghwal and Pancharam Meghwal.
However, villagers of Dangawas criticised the administration for excluding the family of Rampal Gosain, who was the first to be killed in the incident, from the beneficiaries list.
“Gosain’s family — his widow, three small kids and old mother — will face a tough time without financial support as he was the only earning member of the family,” said Ramkaran Kamedia, former sarpanch of Dangawas.
When asked about the exclusion of Gosain, the collector said the compensation had been given under the SC/ST Act, and since Gosain was an OBC he was not covered under the act. “However I have sought government’s direction to give compensation to Rampal’s family,” he added.
Later, the Jats of Dangawas met the collector and demanded a fair probe into the matter.
The Opposition Congress has formed a four-member committee that will visit Dangawas and collect facts about the incident, PCC president Sachin Pilot said, while slamming the Vasundhara Raje government for “poor law and order situation” in the state.
Meanwhile, the district and sessions court extended the police remand of the four accused arrested in the case. “The police remand of Kanaram Jat, Omaram Jat, Kaluram Jat has been extended for two more days,” said Raghvendra Suhasa, the Nagaur superintendent of police (SP).
“We are searching for the other eight persons named in the FIR and will arrest them soon,” he added.
Inspector general of police, Ajmer range, Amrit Kalash said that the government would confiscate the disputed land that led to the clash. “We will initiate the proceedings very soon,” Kalash told reporters in Ajmer.
First Published: May 19, 2015 15:50 IST