Rajasthan: Couple electrocuted to death, officials blame faulty transformer
The deaths come barely a day after a transformer explosion killed 14 persons in the Shahpura town of Jaipur districtjaipur Updated: Nov 02, 2017 19:27 IST
A middle-aged couple died while two women were injured due to electric shocks apparently triggered by a fault in a transformer in the Malarna Dungarpur police station area in Rajasthan’s Sawai Madhopur district, officials said Thursday.
The deaths come barely two days after a transformer blast had killed 14 persons in the Shahpura town of Jaipur district, according to officials.
Soon after the incident in Malarna Dungarpur, the Jaipur Vidyut Vitaran Nigam Limited (JVVNL) announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakh the next of kin of each of the deceased.
“Prima facie the incident occurred due to a fault in the transformer. More details will come when a thorough investigation is conducted,” Swai Madhopur Superintendent Engineer, Moolchand Chaudhary.
According to the police, Hanuman Meena (55) and his wife Jagni Meena (53) were electrocuted when they were preparing butter milk using an electric appliance at their home.
The bodies of the couple were recovered today morning while the incident occurred late yesterday night, they said.
An official said that it appeared that due to a fault in the transformer unregulated electric supply flowed into around five houses in the area killing the couple and injuring two women in separate houses.
The bodies were handed over to family members whereas the injured were undergoing treatment, SHO Malarna Dungar Brijendra Singh said.
He said that the matter was registered under CrPc section 174 on the basis of a complaint filed by a member of the deceased couple’s family.
Earlier, a transformer explosion claimed 14 lives and left several others injured in the Khatulai village of Shahpura town in Jaipur district of the state.
First Published: Nov 02, 2017 19:26 IST