Rajasthan: Man’s throat slit by kite string, dies | jaipur | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 21, 2018-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Rajasthan: Man’s throat slit by kite string, dies

The man was riding his motorcycle when the string got entangled around his neck.

jaipur Updated: Jan 16, 2018 21:55 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, Jaipur
Manjha,Makar sankranti,Rajasthan news
The National Green Tribunal in July last year imposed a blanket ban on the glass-coated kite strings used for kite flying. (Satish Bate/HT Photo)

A 32-year-old man was killed after his throat was slit by a glass-coated kite string (manja) while driving a two-wheeler in the Muralipura area of Jaipur on Tuesday.

Pankaj Jangid, who worked as an accountant, was riding his motorcycle from Khaitan Chauraha to Dher Ke Balaji at 4.30 pm when a string got entangled around his neck, slashing it, said Naveen Khandelwal, the station house officer (SHO) of Muralipura police station. Local shopkeepers rushed him to a nearby private hospital, but he could not be saved, he added.

Jangid is survived by his wife and an eight-year-old daughter.

The glass-coated string that killed Jangid was locally made. The National Green Tribunal in July last year imposed a blanket ban on the glass-coated kite strings used for kite flying, citing threat to humans as well as birds and animals.

State governments were subsequently directed to prohibit the manufacture, sale, storage, purchase and use of both synthetic and cotton glass-coated strings. Despite the ban, the use of string in kite-flying continues in the state, especially on the occasion of Makar Sankranti.

At least 80 people were injured in kite-flying incidents in Jaipur on the occasion, including those who fell while kite-flying as well as those hurt by the kite string. Apart from these, more than 1,100 birds injured by kite strings were treated at the Bird Hospital. Some 200 succumbed to the injuries.

First Published: Jan 16, 2018 21:55 IST