25 years of Babri Masjid demolition: VHP, Bajrang Dal to leave Bengal out of the celebration map
Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and its youth wing Bajrang Dal (BD) have left Bengal out of the nationwide map to celebrate 25 years of Babri Masjid demolition on December 6. The outfits have planned to celebrate the day as Shaurya Divas (Day of Valour).
Both VHP and its youth wing were involved in the demolition of Babri Masjid in Ayodhya in Uttar Pradesh on December 6, 1992.
“In Bengal, they all (read Trinamool Congress, the Left and Congress) observe December 6 as Black Day. Instead of confronting them, we would leave the field to them,” Sachindra Nath Singha, who is in charge of VHP’s Bengal, Assam, Sikkim and Andaman units told HT on Monday.
Singha, who recently paid a visit to Guwahati to finalise celebration plan there, said that Shaurya Divas will be celebrated in Assam with ‘full valour’.
In Bengal, their only programme is the concluding ceremony of membership drive that started earlier in November.
Chief minister Mamata Banerjee is a vocal opponent of the saffron camp and has lashed out at it on a number of times for the demolition of the masjid on December 6, 1992. “Bengal believes in harmony between communities. If somebody wants to celebrate Babri Masjid demolition, the people won’t accept it,” said Tapan Dasgupta, a minister in Mamata Banerjee cabinet.
In West Bengal, all major parties except BJP, observe December 6 as Black Day. This year, too, Trinamool Congress, the Left Front and the Congress have programmes across the state.
Leaders of these three parties are expected to use the occasion to lambast BJP, its ideological parent Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, and VHP. Human rights organisations and some Muslim and dalit outfits, too, have scheduled agitation programmes in Kolkata.
While the RSS does not conduct any event on Babri Masjid demolition anniversary, its student wing, Akhil Bharat Vidyarthi Parishad, will observe the day as Pratigya Divas to commemorate B R Ambedkar’s death anniversary. They will take oath of maintaining social harmony.
Incidentally, in a programme organised in Karnataka by VHP on November 24, RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat has demanded that only a Ram Mandir should be constructed at the disputed site. His statement came just a few days ahead of the apex court beginning final hearing in the Ram Janmabhoomi case.
VHP state leaders were, however, in favour of organising a token event for the record in Kolkata’s fringes. The outfit also kept their controversial Shastra Puja (weapon worship) on Bijoya Dashami a low key event in Bengal.
“VHP has working towards a target of enlisting 1 lakh members from Bengal including 20,000 from Kolkata between early November and December 6,” said Sourish Mukherjee, state VHP spokesperson.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- "You have played with the lives of people. Khela sesh (the game has ended)," said Modi who used Bengali words several times while speaking in Hindi.
- Chakraborty played the lead role in the movie MLA Fatakesto where he was cast as an anti-social who takes up the challenge of becoming a legislator and brings about changes in seven days.
- The Prime Minister went on to explain to the massive gathering the reason why the BJP is the only party in the country which was formed keeping Bengal’s culture and thinking at its core.
- Both the BJP and the the TMC have accused each other of resorting to violence in the run up to the assembly elections in West Bengal.
- Award-winning Bengali Dalit writer, ex-IPS officers and celebrated actors are among the few newcomers who Bengal's 'didi' has given a chance.
- TMC releases first list of 291 candidates for West Bengal assembly polls, CM Mamata Banerjee to contest from Nandigram
- The opposition leader is also scheduled to meet senior TMC minister Firhad Hakim and hold talks about the upcoming Bengal polls.
- TMC and BJP have dismissed the Left rally as insignificant. While the TMC claims CM Mamata Banerjee will return to power for the third time, BJP says the elections are bi-polar and there is no space for the Left.