Another arrested in Gyaneshwari case
A close associate of key accused Bapi Mahato in the May 28 derailment of the Gyaneshwari Express has been arrested from West Midnapore district.
Amiya Mahato was arrested from Koimasoli village last night, Jhargram Superintendent of Police Praveen Tripathi said.
His role in the derailment that led to 148 deaths was yet to be ascertained.
"We came to know that he is a close associate of Bapi, but we cannot say what his role was in the derailment right now," Tripathi said.
Amiya is the seventh person to be arrested in the case, which is being investigated by the CBI.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The opposition leader is also scheduled to meet senior TMC minister Firhad Hakim and hold talks about the upcoming Bengal polls.
- TMC and BJP have dismissed the Left rally as insignificant. While the TMC claims CM Mamata Banerjee will return to power for the third time, BJP says the elections are bi-polar and there is no space for the Left.
- The BJP lodged a complaint in the Phoolbagan police station. Senior BJP leaders of the state rushed to the spot to take stock of the situation.
- The TMC asked the EC why the polls could not be held in fewer phases.
- She alleged that the poll panel scheduled the election dates keeping in mind the BJP’s demands.
- The CBI earlier questioned Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee’s nephew and Trinamool Congress (TMC) MP Abhishek Banerjee’s wife Rujira Banerjee in the case.
- Besides rallies, the chief minister’s itinerary could include religious stopovers at important places of worship.
- "Modi government only makes false promises, has done nothing to bring down fuel prices," PTI quoted the Bengal chief minister as saying.