Vogue's Anna Wintour defends controversial Kamala Harris cover
A Vogue cover photo of a casual Vice President-elect Kamala Harris has sparked controversy, with critics saying it diminishes the politician's achievements, forcing editor Anna Wintour to defend the image Tuesday.
Criticism of the cover has spread on social media since it was released on Sunday, with users insisting that what they see as a poorly composed portrait of Harris wearing sneakers is disrespectful to the first Black woman to be elected vice president.
The photo -- in which Harris also wears a blazer and jeans -- was taken by American photographer Tyler Mitchell, who in 2018 became the first Black photographer to shoot a Vogue cover with his portraits of music icon Beyonce.
It was this image that Wintour chose to grace the cover of the hard copy of the February issue, rather than a more formal portrait of Harris in a light blue Michael Kors pantsuit, which was also taken by Mitchell.
Writing in the Washington Post, fashion critic Robin Givhan said the print cover was "overly familiar" and did not give Harris "due respect."
Social media users also slammed the photo's lighting and questioned whether the magazine had lightened Harris's skin.
"Obviously we have heard and understood the reaction to the print cover and I just want to reiterate that it was absolutely not our intention to, in any way, diminish the importance of the Vice President-elect's incredible victory," Wintour said in a statement to New York Times reporter Kara Swisher.
Swisher, host of the podcast "Sway," also broadcast a rare interview with Wintour Tuesday that was carried out before the controversy.
- 'Positive change' -
In the interview, the artistic director of Vogue's publisher, Conde Nast, describes the cover as "just so joyful and optimistic."
"I cannot imagine that there's anyone that really is going to find this cover anything but that, and positive, and an image of a woman in control of her life who is going to bring us with the president-elect the leadership that we so need," Wintour said.
Harris, 56, has not publicly reacted but sources close to her have told US media that she was surprised by the choice of the more relaxed photo.
The controversy is the latest to engulf Wintour, who found herself under pressure during the massive Black Lives Matter protests that swept the US last summer.
She apologized for not making enough room for Black stylists and photographers in the magazine.
Wintour added that she also took "full responsibility" for "publishing images or stories that have been hurtful or intolerant."
Rumors that she would resign circulated, but the British-born 71-year-old -- described by Forbes magazine in 2017 as the "most powerful woman" in media -- has remained at the helm of Vogue.
"We've heard the complaints and the issues that have been raised by everybody who works at Conde Nast and we're working towards, I think, a lot of very positive change," she told Swisher.
This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text. Only the headline has been changed.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Mira Rajput and Shahid Kapoor are currently holidaying in Goa and the mother-of-two is flaunting her enviable curves in some of the most fabulous beach wear. Their pictures are making us crave for a vacation as well.
- Tandav star Saif Ali Khan turns cover boy for a magazine and his latest pictures in a teal blue bandhgala are fashion goals for men to break away yet embrace the mundane with naturalism
- Hina Khan is having a gala time on her trip. The fashionista has been giving us great brunch date look ideas. She has been snapped in some of the the most impressive ensembles and we are getting inspired.
- Sara Ali Khan's latest leather look teaches us how to brave the winter and look badass while doing it. The Simmba actor is a fashionista in the truest sense.
- On Sunday, Prada unveiled their latest collection - anti-uniform which is an ode to our new intimacy in our ever-tighter circles: luxury long-johns, digitally.
- Athiya Shetty has been making us dream of an endless summer to far flung places and her sizzling fashionable looks, in floral or fancy dresses that flaunt effortless silhouettes and celebrate the feminine figure, are to be blamed
- NBA coaches' casual dressing, during the league at Walt Disney World in Florida, inspires basketball coaches across America to eschew the traditional game day attire of coats, ties and dress slacks in favour of polos, quarter-zips and warmup pants as comfort over style becomes the new fashion trend
- Khushi Kapoor is currently holidaying in Delhi and giving us winter wardrobe inspiration. The 20-year-old has been spotted wearing a lot of delicate crop sweaters and wide-legged pants.
- Nora Fatehi, who is currently holidaying in Dubai, has been serving us some royal looks lately. Her recent statement-making kaftan dress is fit for a queen and we love it.
- Anne Hathaway forgoes the traditional red carpet premiere of her film ‘Locked Down’ but treats fans to a slew of luxurious looks in three dazzling metallic gowns from Vivienne Westwood, Versace and Azzaro and we can’t stop swooning
- Samantha Akkineni recently slayed in a denim midi dress at the promotions of her upcoming web series, The Family Man. The actor flaunted her enviable curves in the distressed bodycon outfit.
- Manish Malhotra encourages men to experiment with colours this wedding season, nails a dapper magnificent look in a purple textured sherwani with a bold animal emblem and a pair of white pants and we are in awe
- Gauahar Khan shared images of herself looking absolutely stunning in a sweater worth ₹2k and pyjamas along with husband Zaid Darbar. The fashionista can slay any outfit and these images are proof.
- Want to look your 'vinatge best' on a date night with bae this winter? Sonam Kapoor Ahuja sorts fashion woes on how to sizzle up some romance and make a steamy monochromatic statement like she does in a sultry black velvet dress from Anand Ahuja's Bhaane. Read on for styling cues
- Want to make a fashion statement in office while sticking to an easy fit no-fuss garment? Look no further as Bhumi Pednekar sorts your fashion woes with her radiant look in a dirt yellow and beige jumpsuit that is sure to steal all the spotlight at work