Ice roller trend: Can this simple beauty tool transform your skincare routines?
The ice roller trend has taken the beauty and skincare industry by storm. Is it truly an effective skincare tool or just another passing fad? Let's find out.
If you're active on social media, you might be aware of ice rollers. A tiny handheld device filled with water and gel that can be stored in the freezer. Instagram is flooded with ice roller reels and everyone from celebrities to beauty influencers is raving about this beauty trend. Due to its aesthetically pleasing and cool appeal, people are going crazy to try it out. However, before you blindly follow the trend, it's important to know the truth.
"For decades, beauty tools have been revolutionising the skincare industry, offering a plethora of solutions to a wide range of skin concerns. One such novel innovation is the ice roller, a simple yet efficacious tool that is gradually transforming traditional skincare routines. This deceptively simple beauty tool is transforming how we approach skincare, integrating the time-tested principle of cold therapy into daily regimens. The revolution might just be starting, but the effects are already quite apparent," says Dr. Batul Patel, Leading Celebrity Dermatologist, Founder and Medical Director, The Bombay Skin Clinic. (Also read: Unlocking the skincare revolution: Latest beauty trends transforming the skincare landscape )
Ice roller: The mechanism behind the magic
"To understand why ice rollers are gaining popularity, one needs to understand the scientific principles behind their functioning. Cold therapy, also known as cryotherapy, has been used in dermatology for ages, providing several skincare benefits such as vasoconstriction, which reduces inflammation, puffiness, and pore size. By applying cold stimulation, the ice roller can aid lymphatic drainage, decrease swelling, and increase blood circulation, delivering oxygen and nutrients to skin cells more effectively," says Dr. Batul.
She added, "Furthermore, the act of rolling itself is beneficial. Massaging your skin can help stimulate the lymphatic system, which aids in detoxification. When combined, the cold treatment and massaging action of the ice roller provides a holistic approach to skincare, addressing a multitude of skin concerns at once."
Benefits of ice rollers
Dr. Batul further shared with HT Lifestyle the benefits of using ice rollers for your skincare.
1. Reduces swelling: Ice rollers are quite good at reducing swelling and puffiness, particularly around the eyes. It's the ideal solution to deal with the morning puffiness that many of us experience.
2. Decreases redness and enhances complexion: The ice roller can lessen face redness and improve complexion by triggering vasoconstriction. It can be especially useful after a workout or any other circumstance that makes your face sweat and flush.
3. Relieves tired skin: An ice roller massage can help ease the tension in fatigued skin, giving it a youthful appearance. It is a fantastic tool to energise your skin after a hard day or before a significant occasion.
4. Increases product absorption: By enhancing product absorption, the ice roller can increase the efficacy of your skincare regimen. Applying the roller after applying your serums or moisturisers can make the creams feel nicer on the skin and guarantee that they are better absorbed.
5. Alleviates headaches: Although it has nothing to do with skincare, many users discover that rolling across the forehead and temples can help relieve tension headaches.
Is it really effective ?
“It's not merely a trend to use an ice roller. It is a beauty item with scientific support and possible advantages that might improve your skincare regimen. However, there is no regulation for the precise temperature or roller diameters, and no research has been done to find out more about the type of material used for freezing. It, therefore, offers certain advantages, but because there are so many different rollers available at various price ranges, it can be difficult to tell whether they all function effectively. The ice roller is a simple, inexpensive method to add the advantages of cold treatment to your routine, even though it isn't a miracle cure. The ice roller may be the skincare revolution you've been waiting for, whether your goal is to minimise puffiness, enhance product absorption, or just give your skin a youthful shine,” concludes Dr. Betul Patel.