Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 10, 2018-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Rape, attempt to murder…& delayed police action in Lucknow

The apathy of the Lucknow police in attending to complaints of serious offences came to fore , reports Bhupendra Pandey.

lucknow Updated: Apr 12, 2007 14:53 IST

The apathy of the Lucknow police in attending to complaints of serious offences came to fore with a case of attempt to rape and attempt to murder that were lodged with the Gosainganj police station on Wednesday.

According to report, a youth first made an attempt to rape a widow and later set her ablaze when she resisted the move on April 3.

Station officer (SO) Sobaran Singh was reportedly informed about the incident the same night. But, instead of initiating prompt action, Singh asked the victim’s mother to think of her daughter before seeking police help in the matter. None of the policemen from the local police station ever visited the victim at the hospital till late night.

Senior superintendent of police (SSP) Jyoti Narayan, who was unaware of the case, said stern action would be initiated against erring cops if found guilty.

Complainant Sukhrani, resident of Parehta village, narrated the sequence of events saying her 25-year-old daughter was alone in the house when neighbourhood youth Pramod barged into her room around 10 pm on April 3. The youth initially made advances at her and lured her for physical relations.

As the woman offered resistance, Pramod pounced upon her and started assaulting her brutally. He made an attempt to outrage her modesty tearing off her clothes.

The victim tried to raise an alarm but Pramod gagged her and poured kerosene on her. Before the woman could gauge his intention, Pramod allegedly set her afire. He fled the scene and vanished from the village.

Neighbours and other villagers rushed to the scene and Sukhrani, who had gone to another house in the same village, too reached her home. They somehow doused the flames and rescued the victim. She had suffered serious burns by then and was rushed to the KGMU Trauma centre later where she was battling for life.

Sukhrani alleged that she had taken her injured daughter to the local police station where the SO asked the villagers to first take the victim for treatment. He reportedly also said that the victim required medical aid not police help. The complainant visited the SO twice since the incident but he got an FIR lodged only on Tuesday night.

First Published: Apr 12, 2007 14:47 IST